Assertive, Skilled Employer Defense
Attorney Clifton E. Smith has extensive employer defense experience. Attorney Smith protects the legal rights of employers and their management team in defense of litigation or state and federal administrative inquiries. CE Smith Labor Law also assists in the development of comprehensive employment policies as well as the early resolution of all employer-related disputes.
At CE Smith Labor Law, we start with the proposition that the most effective employer defense strategy includes an effort to resolve the dispute before it ever reaches the courtroom. However, in the event that these employment disputes do end up in the courtroom, we offer skilled employer defense representation for you and your management team in both state and federal courts.
In addition to employer defense in a court of law, CE Smith Labor Law also represents employers against intrusive and intimidating investigations by state and federal agencies, such as the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL), or the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE), or the Fair Employment Housing Authority (FEHA) to name just a few.
CE Smith Labor Law also offers strategic guidance, training, support and even confidential self-audits of your business practices, wherever and whenever needed. This support and guidance will help your firm identify, address and resolve issues in a proactive manner, in an effort to avoid litigation or claims and inquiries by state or federal agencies.
We Offer A Comprehensive Range Of Services
The services that we offer are extensive and include:
- Defense of class action, wage and hour lawsuits
- Employment discrimination and retaliatory discharge claims
- Harassment claims, including sexual harassment
- Wrongful termination cases
- Wage claims for unpaid overtime, missed meal and rest periods, inaccurate wage statements, failure to pay all wages due at termination, commission and bonus disputes
- Claims and investigations by DOL, EEOC, FEHA, DLSE
- Claims under FMLA/CFRA leave laws
- Employer defense of unfair labor practice charges before the National Labor Relations Board
- Pre-(NLRB) petition, strategic union avoidance strategies and activities to remain union-free
- Post-(NLRB) petition, counter-union organizing campaigns & strategies to win the election, defeat the union and remain union-free.
Discrimination, harassment and retaliation lawsuits typically involve sizable claims for compensatory damages, punitive damages and attorney fees.
Class action, wage and hour lawsuits can present significant, financial exposure to multimillion-dollar employee wage claims depending upon various factors such as the size of the employee class, its unique attributes, the nature of the claims, and the period for which such class claims are made, among other factors.
The legal defense services provided by CE Smith Labor Law will help your management team remain focused on your business operation, minimizing the distraction and disruption caused by employment claims and lawsuits.
Information all employers must know:
- Did you know you, your executive staff and/or your management team may be individually liable for a sexual harassment claim?
- Did you know that if you retaliate in response to a discrimination claim, even if the claim is found to be false, you could still be liable for the retaliation?
- Did you know your business could be liable for failure to promptly investigate and remedy claims of discrimination or harassment?
Partner With Our Team And Protect Your Interests
Don’t let an employee claim or lawsuit ruin your company. Our attorney is ready to help you defend against adverse legal action. Protect your business. Speak with attorney Smith to learn about your legal options.